Well Planned Day

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 8 - Love is not Jealous

I'm glad I'm blogging about this. I don't know who's reading it (besides my 2 dear, devoted friends) but I hope you are about to learn something from it. But for me, it helps me make sure I get it done every day. This has been a great form of accountability for me. I think my marriage is getting better. I am certainly more aware of my emotions that make me react. Thanks for taking this journey with me! That being said...

Love is not Jealous

Love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire. ~Song of Solomon 8:6

Wrath is fierce and anger is a flood, but who can stand before jealousy? ~Proverbs 27:4

2 Forms:
Legitimate jealousy based upon love and an illegitimate jealousy based upon envy.

God has a righteous jealousy for His people because He doesn't want us to let anything take precedence over Him in our hearts.

The Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God. ~Deuteronomy 4:24

Illegitimate love though is rooted in selfishness. Its a common struggle. Its sparked when someone gets something you want.

Envy leads to fighting, quarreling and every evil thing. (James 3:16, 4:1-2)

Cain, Sarah, Joseph's brothers, and the chief priests all acted out of jealousy.

When you married, you were given the role of becoming your spouse's biggest cheerleader and the captain of his fan club. But if selfishness rules, any good thing happening to only one of you can be a catalyst for envy rather than congratulations.

Because love is not selfish and puts others first, it refuses to let jealousy in. It leads you to celebrate the successes of your spouse rather than resenting them.

A loving wife will be the first to cheer for her man when he wins. She does not compare her weaknesses to his strengths.

Its time to let love, humility and gratefulness destroy any jealousy that springs up in your heart. It's time to let your mate's successes draw you closer together and give you greater opportunities to show genuine love.

TODAY'S DARE

DETERMINE TO BECOME YOUR SPOUSE'S BIGGEST FAN AND TO REJECT ANY THOUGHTS OF JEALOUSY. TO HELP YOU SET YOUR HEART ON YOUR SPOUSE AND FOCUS ON THEIR ACHIEVEMENTS, TAKE YESTERDAY'S LIST OF NEGATIVE ATTRIBUTES AND DISCREETLY BURN IT. THEN SHARE WITH YOUR SPOUSE HOW GLAD YOU ARE ABOUT A SUCCESS HE RECENTLY ENJOYED.

2 comments:

Barbie said...

OH MY!!! Am I going to need to remember this over the next couple of years as we start on our new adventure. I haven't always been the biggest fan of us moving... mostly because of fear.

The other day I realized that I have followed my hubby all over the world for 15 years.... why would I not follow him now???

This fear is of Satan not of God and I know that I can do all things through Christ.

PS... you sounded great when we were chatting today... you seem to be in good spirits. Isn't God wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

amanda said...

that is good stuff, I never, ever thought of jealousy in those terms. I am pretty sure I am Brad's #1 fan. Have you seen my t-shirt??? =)

continuing to pray...