Well Planned Day

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Beef-Polenta Pie

Thank you, thank you, Rachel Ray for the recipes that you create with less than 125 ingredients!!! (recipe is slightly adjusted)

It really was quick and easy. Gotta that!

Beef-Polenta Pie

Serves 6
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes

2 TBS EVOO
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 onion, chopped
1 ¼ pounds ground beef
Salt & pepper
One 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 C instant polenta
½ C heavy cream
½ C grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
1 Package frozen green beans, thawed, drained

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add been, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and mushrooms, lower the heat and simmer.

In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water and ¾ tsp salt to a boil. Whisk in the polenta until thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the cream, Parmesan and ¼ tsp pepper until smooth; pour into a large casserole dish.

Stir the green beans into the beef mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture of the polenta and top with more Parmesan.



Cameron gave a thumbs up, but really, he didn't like it. He picked out the ground beef and that was all he ate.


The last time I made polenta, it was...well, less than desirable. This was really good with the cream and cheese AND all the flavors on top.

3 comments:

Barbie said...

What exactly is polenta??? Is it like a grit?? I am really funny about texture.. can you describle the texture??

I am glad that the boys like it. I love when I make something new and it's a hit.

Something that you may want to try is using spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti. I have heard it's good and once you cover it with the sauce you can't really tell(except it's yellow).

Happy cooking!!!

Anonymous said...

Only one problem with the polenta pie....PawPaw didn't get any!! He sure thought it looked like something he would enjoy. He never saw a pie he didn't think he like.

Always an Adventure said...

Polenta is basically cornmeal. I've only had grits twice in my life so I'm not sure if I can compare them.