Disembarkation was supposed to begin around 8:00 am but around 7:30 the Captain came over the intercom to tell us that the port was closed to fog and disembarkation would be delayed.
We had our last family breakfast in the room. Bags were already gathered by the stewards during the night and we just had our carry on bags to go back and gather.

We had a beautiful ocean view during breakfast and the girls were more happy to play by the window than eat.

The fog meant that disembarkation would be much later than expected. After breakfast, we cleared out of our rooms and took our carry ons up to one of the sitting areas on deck 5. And we waited and waited.
The kids played games and we walked around inside and out on the deck. I can't remember but I think we waited about two hours. When our number was called, we got in line to leave the ship then we got our luggage, cleared customs and...
Waited some more. The guys got a cab to go back to the hotel with free parking and pick up the vehicles. It was after 2:00 p.m. and we hadn't had lunch. It was feeling like a very long day. Now that all the fun was over, I just wanted to get home!
I drove through Dallas and we stopped in Denton for a late dinner and a stretch at Dairy Queen. Then onward home. By the time we crossed into Oklahoma, everyone was asleep except me (of course), Bren who was keeping me company and Cam who was happily playing on my tablet. I think we finally got home around 11:30 p.m.
And the fun of all vacations, unpacking, putting away and LAUNDRY! Thankfully we had it all done within 24 hours! JC had Monday off and after I went grocery shopping, we tackled this mess!
So, how do you wrap up a week like that? It's now been almost two weeks since returning home. It was an amazing trip. How often does one get to take a cruise? Visit the Bahamas? Spend a week with 21 members of their family? There were so many amazing moments of this trip. It wasn't perfect and I did have some melt downs with my kids (well, mostly Lily). Cam was a perfect young man during the trip and Cait did so good considering the weird hours and only getting one nap during the cruise. Lily really did well, too, considering she doesn't do well with change, loud noise, strangers, etc. I think age 7 would be a good age to take kids on a cruise. We might plan another one in five years when Lily is older.
In the end, we are so thankful that God has blessed our family. With health and lots of loving family members. With JC's job and the income that it provides so that we can take vacations, travel and experience the beauty of God's creation. I am so thankful that I have JC, Bren, Cam, Cait and Lily to share this life with. So. Very. Blessed. Life can be trying sometimes, especially with young children and no sleep. I will hold on to these memories as reminders that seasons, opportunities and challenges change. Rather quickly, in hindsight.






2 comments:
I cannot believe you got all these pictures & details up so soon after our trip! I drag my feet to get these types of things done so well done!
Thanks for inviting us on the trip... We had fun! It was hard to do things w/ 17 other ppl all at the same time but I think it was a pretty good mix throughout the cruise.
I find that every year, vacationing is that much easier w/ the kids! I'm working with the "practice makes perfect" philosophy. :)
It was the most wonderful of vacations. Such a joy to be able to spend the precious moments with all, especially the kids.
Post a Comment