I avoided it as long as I could but recently I broke down and checked out Pinterest. Oh, it's so much fun! If you're not familiar with it, it is a place to collect ideas from crafts and food to home design and fashion. My favorite spots to check out, of course, are the former.

I have gotten so many new ideas. I have been in a craft and food slump lately and Pinterest has revived me!

Last Tuesday before a freeze, I went and picked every thing out of the garden. I got a ton of jalapenos, some green beans and a carrot. My original goal was to make salsa with the jalapenos but I never grew any tomatoes. I was set to let them die on the vine when I read about dehydrating peppers on Pinterest. I had never thought about that!

So, I sliced them up and dehydrated them over night. I now have 2 jars in the freezer (to keep them fresh longer) so JC can add jalapenos to whatever, whenever!

I also picked all the basil off my basil plant. This was surely destine to die on the plant as I felt I had no energy to make pesto. But, once I started on the peppers, I felt I could tackle it all!

I made two large batches. The first one with pine nuts and the second with walnuts.

Last Tuesday before a freeze, I went and picked every thing out of the garden. I got a ton of jalapenos, some green beans and a carrot. My original goal was to make salsa with the jalapenos but I never grew any tomatoes. I was set to let them die on the vine when I read about dehydrating peppers on Pinterest. I had never thought about that!
So, I sliced them up and dehydrated them over night. I now have 2 jars in the freezer (to keep them fresh longer) so JC can add jalapenos to whatever, whenever!
I also picked all the basil off my basil plant. This was surely destine to die on the plant as I felt I had no energy to make pesto. But, once I started on the peppers, I felt I could tackle it all!
I made two large batches. The first one with pine nuts and the second with walnuts.
Using my large cookie scoop, I scooped them on the a greased cookie sheet and "flash froze" them. Then I popped them into baggies for quick addition to any meal! I haven't used pesto in quite a while but it's great with pizza, pasta and chicken!
2 comments:
way to go Jenn! That is a super idea about the jalapenos! I wouldn't have thought of that either.
At first, pinterest is a time-suck... but once you get over the newness, it just becomes a great source of info & organization. Right?
I was out there too getting my basil before the freeze... except I waited too late & was out there in the dark, freezing cold w/ a little rain, snipping branches w/ scissors. Not fun. But glad to have the pesto. I made some w/ almonds this time & it turned out too!
Post a Comment