Well Planned Day

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Embroidery Machine Applique Tutorial

*for Barbie :)
All thanks goes to my friend, Angela F, for teaching me how to use my embroidery machine. What a good friend to spend her time answering all my questions, coming over for a 101 session and helping me regularly.


I am slowly figuring it all out and venturing out to more and more projects. Cait's birthday shirt was an applique that I purchased from Planet Applique. {Fun stuff!} I did a #2 Candle applique on the back of nephew Jackson's birthday shirt as well. The dog on Walker's hooded towel is just embroidery stitching. A lot of it!

The # Candles and the dog paw below are also from Planet Applique.


I'll list the steps under each photo. Click on a photo to see more of it. Leave me a message if you have any questions!

When you have a design that is made for applique, it will (or should) have 2 outlines and then the final stitch. In this case the 3rd stitches will be a satin stitch.

Get your item prepped for embroidery. I use stabilizer on the front and back of a towel for this project. Hoop it and install the hoop into the machine. Run your first outline.


When it says to change thread, click okay. Press the button to cut the thread.

Leaving the hoop where it is, place a piece of fabric on top of the first outline. Make sure it completely covers the outline. Press start to run your second outline.

I run it a little slower for this and make sure the fabric doesn't bunch up. When it says to change thread, click okay. Press the button to cut the thread again and this time, remove the hoop but leave the fabric IN the hoop.

My mom bought me these great applique scissors but you can use any scissors. Now you want to trim all the extra fabric. Just cut along the outline. When you're done cutting, you'll have a a great idea of how your final project will work. (IF you are doing multiple fabrics like the owl on Cait's shirt, you would put it back in the machine now and run outline 1 of the next part, place your fabric, run outline 2 and continue on repeating these steps until you're done.)


Put the hoop back in the machine.


Now run the last outline, which in this case is actually a satin stitch. I also added a name after the applique and after a quick thread switch, I embroidered that as well.

And I hate this message because of that yellow triangle. That always scares me; I think something is wrong. Because things can go wrong quickly. And sometimes often.

But this says I'm done so I pull the hoop off the machine.

These purple scissors are great for trimming little threads and with embroidery machines, there will always be LOTS of little threads. I think it's easiest to take the item out of the hoop, then trim, then remove the stabilizer.

And that's it! You can find the towel tutorials HERE & HERE.

3 comments:

Barbie said...

Thanks for the great tutorial!!! Of course you should have known I would have some questions.

Where did you get the paw print? Is that on one of your memory cards?

Did you add the name after you finsihed the paw print? Did you leave the hoop in the machine and just inout the name into the machine?

Does your awesome friend know how to embroider BIG letters? I can't get my machine to go higher than
60mm. I live in the south now and everyone wants BIG letters.

You are blessed to have someone that can help you. I am blessed that you are so willing to help me long distance. Thanks friend.

Anonymous said...

Wow...looks much too complicated for my little mind to comprehend! :) haha

Oh, by the way, I think all the teens at church have decided that Cameron is like our favorite person. He gave me the SWEETEST hug when he left yesterday. It was so cute! And all the Millers just think he is so funny. We love him to death!

Always an Adventure said...

Barb:
http://www.planetapplique.com/ is where I get my favorite applique designs.

I don't have a program for my machine so once I sent the applique file to my machine, I used my machine fonts to type in the wording. So it does the paw first and then the wording without having to remove the hoop. Or you can type in the name and then upload the file. Either way.

Here are some large letters that you can buy and embroider:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/64556702/machine-embroidery-applique-large-cap

I just googled "large letters for embroidery machine".


Peyton:
I'm glad you guys love Cameron so much! He sure loves you guys! He is a wonderful and fun son! He is always coming up with something!!!