Well Planned Day

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Trying to be Purposeful

Seems things are always busy 'round here. We are trying to live with purpose. I am trying to be purposeful in what I do and careful not to "waste time" or spend my time on meaningless things. It is harder to do than one might think. Sometimes it is easy to "escape" by goofing around online or running around town without planning. But I want my days to count.

Teach me, Lord, to number my days, that I may gain a heart of wisdom. (Ps. 90:12)

In being more purposeful, I am trying to add more beauty to my world. Candles and flowers on the dinner table or trading my sweatpants for a skirt, for example.

I read this quote recently:

Service is the rent we pay to be living. It is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time. ~Marian Write Edelman

I thought about this a lot. Obviously, the Bible tells us to take care of those who have needs, especially widows and orphans. So, how are WE serving others? Honestly, we're not. Or, we haven't been. I have thought about helping different ministries (food banks and such) but most don't want young ones around. As a family, we decided to buy a goat and 2 chickens for a family out of our Christmas money (through World Vision). But even that seemed so little. And certainly not frequent enough. More like in our spare time.

We have been talking a lot of our plans to take our family on a cruise sometime in the next 2 1/2 years. It is something we want to do before Brendan graduates high school. During a family meeting, we looked at our budget and talked about ways we can save more money for the trip. We can cut back some grocery spending, be more diligent with our electrical usage and cut back our cell phone expense, to name a few. We can also be more careful to pack a lunch or snacks if we're running around so we don't "have" to stop for food.

I picked up two buckets in the dollar bin at Target. One for "family" (our trip) and one for "others" (giving). I added a little UL fun to them, so we could tell the difference. Twice this month, we have received cash for doing surveys. We've put the cash in the buckets. When I do shopping, with my Dave Ramsey cash envelopes, the coins go in the buckets. So, in cutting back, we will save more for our trip but also give more.

As far as serving, this is what we've talked about. Starting with family and friends, extending to our actual neighbors and then even people we don't know - we are going to try to weekly find a need. Meals for sick, lawn/home/auto maintenance for someone who needs help, or whatever need that we see that we can meet. I want to live in a way that

they may see {our} good deeds and glorify God (1 Peter 2:12)

I fail at this often. I want us to do better. I hope this isn't seen as bragging. If anything, I'd be bragging of my selfish, sinful nature. I just want to share my heart with you, my friends and family.

I have also been inspired by my dear friend's son. He is 7. He wants to raise $2,000 to buy farm animals for people in need in Africa. So cool!

Other purposeful changes are our evenings. JC is trying to do some home improvements each evening; getting the boys to help him. Working with the boys. Teaching them to be handy men. And we are trying to spend some time playing, as a family. One night we played Trouble, another we played a version of Pictionary. Surprisingly, Cameron did quite good. His word was wings. We guessed it. Can you guess what JC's word was?

I'm sure we'll, again, get out of the habit of being purposeful. But for now, it is good. It is thought provoking. Thanks for letting me share this adventure with you.

1 comment:

amanda said...

oh my word, Jenn.

Such a great post. God is teaching me many of the same lessons, perhaps resulting in slightly different outcomes... that's how He does it, I guess.

Awesome, awesome stuff. I'll pray for you to stay purposeful, especially on the days when I am struggling to do the same.

love you, friend!