Well Planned Day

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Footies and Hamburger

How's that for a title? Well, I don't have much else to write about this week.

JC went back to work and we did a couple days of school work here. Today and tomorrow the schools are closed because it's too cold outside. So, JC's home again. We ran errands today and tomorrow should be a lazy day.

Cameron got footie PJs for Christmas from Granny. In my personal opinion, this type of PJs go by the wayside during potty training! But I knew they would keep Cam warm. Here he is showing them off.

I have to admit, he is awfully cute in them. I was glad he wore them, since our power was out for a couple hours in the middle of the night.

A dear friend of mine bought a case of 10 lb packages of ground beef yesterday from Sams. It worked out to be $16.90 per 10 lbs (with tax!). And it's 90% lean, even!

So, this was my project last night. In the picture on the right, you can see the handy kitchen scale that Brendan got me for Christmas. Surprisingly, I've used it several times already!


First, I measured out and wrapped 4 individual pounds of meat. With the rest, I added homemade bread crumbs, dried parsley, garlic salt, onion powder, grated Parmesan cheese, a bit of pepper, eggs and ketchup.

Of course, you have to mix it with your hands to get it all incorporated. Plus, dad always says that's the best way to clean out your finger nails!

Out of the mix, I made 3 meatloafs and 58 meatballs, enough for at least 3 meals.

All that is now in the freezer, ready for some quick(er) and inexpensive meals! YAY!

6 comments:

amanda said...

I never thought about the nail-cleaning benefit of that chore before... I think there's some truth to it though! That's an awesome amount of prep work for the future! Good job!

Oh the footie pjs, he does look quite adorable in them.

How cold is too cold for school? Wilson was hoping for a snow day tomorrow, but it has barely sprinkled here, apparently the "Gulf moisture" has dissipated.

Always an Adventure said...

When I got around to looking this morning, around 10, it was 21 degrees. Right now (8 pm) it is down to 18.

We lived in Alaska for 7 years and NEVER saw the school doors close! We were even there when Fairbanks reached NEGATIVE 80 degrees! Schools were open if your car would start!

Our Army of Six said...

Great job on the food prep!! We always LOVED footie pajamas because it kept kids warm when they would kick off their covers. But I totally see the point about the potty training! Right now it's 4 degrees and we're expecting it to get down to negative 5 tonight. I've never been in negative temperatures before. I'm not exactly thrilled though :)

Leslie said...

Mike bought Isabella some footie pjs a couple weeks ago... who knew they made them in 4T! They do look cute on her & in the morning, I quickly realized why you don't see very many in size 4T!

Barbie said...

I had read about Sam's hamburger but haven't bought any. Let me know how it is.

I love when I have something in the freezer already prepared. I haven't freezer cooked since before Christmas... my freezer needed to be empty for goodies. I need to get my freezer stocked again with freezer meals.

Loved footie pj's for Lo. With this weather..I would love some for me. Your boy is getting so big....why do they have to grow up????

Granny said...

For some reason we don't have any pictures...but my heart sure can imagine how precious he looks. I have never heard about the Sam meat deal. I need to know more.