Well Planned Day

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Baby Prep

2012 has brought a lot of busyness as we prepare for our new addition. Here are some highlights of January and some baby prep updates.
Cait's hair has grown enough that she can wear pig tails AND pony tails. She doesn't like them so much but mama does!
She's been practicing her mama skills lately!

Two fun Pinterest ideas that I found this month. One, for the little kids, was taping paper to the bottom of the kitchen table for upside-down-drawing. Second, I found the idea of preparing a year of dates. Since JC isn't the best planner but I like him to take initiative on dates, I made 2012 easier on him by pre-planning the activities and even including cash for each month!
Here are a few of the dates:
Pizza and window shopping
Frozen Yogurt and a walk
Breakfast at a diner (anytime of day)
Lunch at Ingrids, Saturday's they have live music during lunch
Seafood and a sunset walk at Lake Hefner (anniversary month)
Race cars & pinball at the arcade
Botanical Gardens and a picnic
Cait fits in the frog suit!
For some crazy reason, we've decided to get the ball rolling on some home improvements this month. Our bedroom is almost done with a paint job and furniture rearrangement. It went from (what I call...) nicotine white (previous owners) to a nice, clean off white. We are also replacing ALL interior doors. Lowes had a great sale on primed, 6 panel doors so we bought a bunch of them. However, we have since been GIVEN doors (so we can take some of the Lowes ones back) AND our generous friends even came and helped hang them ALL tonight! What a sweet blessing since this would have taken JC quite a bit of time by himself (boring them and all that stuff)!!!
But during all this, the house has been in a big dissary! Doors blocking the front door, bedroom furniture squished together (I called it our New York bedroom; hardly enough room for my preggo body to fit anywhere!) and more of the furniture dispersed down the hall and entryway! I'll be glad to get these jobs finished up!
Cam's been begging to do a "project" so daddy bought a kids kit at Lowes and they had a lot of fun putting a coin sorter together on Sunday. We found a baby swing at a thrift store and I decided to make a pink cover for it instead of the plaid blue & yellow one it had.

I also made Cait and Cam a play box consisting of cans and odd lids that I hot glued magnets to. I also put magnets on pompom balls and small bells. Here they added some kitchen "toys" to have a good time. Of course, Cait had to get ON the table to play!
My other big project has been freezer meals! I think I now have 28 meals in the freezer!!! I will probably start using them shortly before the baby as my energy gives out. Some are crockpot meals that are basically marinaded meat. A lot of them are meals that I have doubled over the last month and then froze half of. Some of our new favorites are:
Cilantro Lime Rice Chicken (tonight's dinner!)
And some family favorites like chili, cheesy ham and potatoes, and the Pioneer Woman's Beef Drip.
Today we have 25 days until my due date! Baby girl STILL does not have a name. I'm measuring perfectly and doing well besides a bit of swelling in my feet and hands and a nerve in my hip that occasionally feels pinched. I do not feel "ready" like I did with Cait. Clothes and car seat are still in the attic, bassinet and dresser are still in storage. Hospital bag is not packed. And there is still a lot that I would like to do around the house so I'm not rushing these last few weeks.

JC's job is going well and it is SO WONDERFULLY NICE to have him home in the evenings without major piles of school work to grade. He works 40 hours a week and that's it! His benefits, from paid-time-off to medical coverage, have turned out to be a dream come true. We are still in awe of all that has happened surrounding this job.

5 comments:

Granny said...

What great pictures and ideas and LOTS of work! I'm anxious to see the "new" look...and meet the new little one!!! The kids look so busy and condent, I know they are beavering all the time. It's great that web site can help but it sure takes a devoted mother to put the ideas into action. Very proud of you!! and Daddy of course!!

Our Army of Six said...

You look beautiful Jenn! Great job on all the work in your home!

Leslie said...

Great projects! You'll have to explain the magnet one to me a bit more, not sure I totally understand that one.

Good job on all the meals! That's a biggie!!

You're looking good too! Amazing the date is nearly here!

Always an Adventure said...

Leslie, here is the idea: http://www.teachpreschool.org/2011/08/diy-make-your-own-magnets-for-play-in-preschool/

I feel best about the freezer. It will save last minute, "I don't want to cook" moments and prevent too much spent on take out!

I can't believe the time is almost here either! Seems so soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. You look gorgeous! I LOVE your long hair. Don't cut it!!!
I am quite impressed by your freezer meals. You are so good.
Those white doors are so nice in the house, huh? I bet they really lighten it up and seem to add space. Love you so much. Missin' you bunches.
hugs,
Chas