Wednesday was "laundry day". It was the easiest way for me to sneak some of Brendan's clothes into a suitcase for the next day. It would be the start of many surprises!
Thursday morning, we packed up the van and then woke Bren up around 8:45. I told him we had some things to do so get dressed and ready. He came out of his room in paint covered pants so I told him he needed to change into the pants I washed the day before. I told him I needed his laptop, iPod and Kindle and he thought that was weird. We finally got him to the car and that is when he realized dad hadn't gone to work. I brought out a button up shirt (he was in his tank) and he asked if we were going golf. I told him we might eat out or something and he might need the shirt. When he asked where we were going, I told him we had somethings to do.
We got onto the highway and I told JC I needed to mail something. He told me the closest post office was at the airport and I said that was fine. We drove that way and Bren told us, "You passed the road to the post office"...So, I told JC he could circle around and go to it but instead we stopped at the SW check in and told a sleepy Bren to get out and empty his pockets. I knew he would be carrying at least one knife! He was pretty confused at this point but we all said goodbyes and JC & Bren went on in!
The guys went to Ripley's (another surprise) and went through their four attractions: Wax Museum, Believe It or Not Museum, Mirror Maze and Laser Race. They spent about 3 hours there, playing and having a good time!

The next surprise was to see Granny & PawPaw with me, Cait and Cam at the hotel. From there, he got another surprise when we met up with Aunt Les & her family and Aunt Lyn at Chipotle for dinner. After dinner, we went to the french restuarant next door for desserts!

Back at the hotel, we enjoyed having the swimming pool to ourselves! Aunt Lyn came to watch.


Back at the hotel, we enjoyed having the swimming pool to ourselves! Aunt Lyn came to watch.
Bren, chillin' out at the hotel and sister sleeping sweetly. Cam got to stay the night with Granny and PawPaw. Bren was pleased that he didn't have to share the bed!

The next day we had a hard time narrowing down our plans. Bren finally decided we should go to the US Bureau of Engraving & Printing in Ft. Worth but with all the construction and traffic, we ended up going to Grapevine. We had lunch and then hung out at the massive Bass Pro shop.

Cait loved the animals, Cam loved shooting the guns and Bren loved looking at the knives and guns.

The next day we had a hard time narrowing down our plans. Bren finally decided we should go to the US Bureau of Engraving & Printing in Ft. Worth but with all the construction and traffic, we ended up going to Grapevine. We had lunch and then hung out at the massive Bass Pro shop.
Cait loved the animals, Cam loved shooting the guns and Bren loved looking at the knives and guns.
We went to the Grapevine mall and walked around and then "surprised" Bren with dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. (He kinda figured that one out, since it was at the mall.) Les & her family, Granny & PawPaw and Lyn all had a great dinner with us!

Cait ate a ton (and threw up through the night...ugh!)

Cait ate a ton (and threw up through the night...ugh!)
After dinner, we dropped Cait, Cam, Granny and PawPaw off at the hotel and took Bren to see the movie Real Steel with Aunt Lyn. It was great, but boy were we tired when we got back to the hotel! (The movie was our "plans" for Bren's birthday, to cover up the big surprise!)
Saturday Bren chose to go ice skating. It's been a long time since he and dad have skated. And it was Cam's first time!

Even Cait got "on" the ice!
Even Cait got "on" the ice!
Saturday's surprises included Gramma & Papa and Aunt Jess and her family meeting up with us. It also included dinner at the Medieval Times.

It was a great show, a great dinner and everyone had fun!

Les had to get back on the road but the rest of us met at the hotel for cake and presents. Like his new shades?

Les had to get back on the road but the rest of us met at the hotel for cake and presents. Like his new shades?
And when all the surprises were done, we headed out Sunday morning to Lawton. There was a lot of traffic (I didn't mention this happened to be the BIG OU/TX weekend) and rain. We dropped off Granny and PawPaw, Bren opened MORE presents (a bass guitar!) and then the final leg of our trip.
Kinda.
JC needed to "pick something up" on our way home. Bren asked why there were so many cars at our church on a Sunday night. And if dad needed to get something, why was everyone getting out???
We finally made it home about 9:30 Sunday night. What a fun filled, busy four days! Bren, I hope your 16th birthday rocked!!!
Thank you to EVERYONE who helped pull off all the surprises and fun!!!
And just for record keeping, Bren measures in at 5' 10-3/4"! He might just make it!
4 comments:
WOW.....what an epic 16th birthday!!!!! =)
Last night was great! =) You did a great job with all the planning! I think it turned out fantastic! And if Bren was surprised and had a good time, then it was a success! =)
Love you guys!
I love the play by play. Its like the neverending Birthday weekend.
so awesome. wonderful memories for sure!
how hard was it to keep it all a secret??????????? that would make me go all crazy.
p.s. we used to watch the neverending story at all of my birthday pj parties, so you know, for me to call it that kind of a birthday is a really big deal. please tell me you know about the movie or I'll feel lame.
Loved the weekend! Love the boy! Jen, some of the pics didn't load for me, not sure if it's my computer or the site. Thanks for being such a good mom to my grandson! Love you!!
I LOVE it!!! You did great MOM!! I will definitely be asking for ideas in a couple of years....er a year and a half! :(
Post a Comment