Well Planned Day

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Little Rock, Baby!

Monday, the kids and I set sail (so to speak) for Little Rock, Arkansas. I had prepared the boys by telling them it would be a LONG drive. The warning did not help ease the "are we there yet" syndrome! At one point, to save some sanity, I let Cam play with my camera. These are some of the results...

I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery of the drive. Especially in Arkansas with the hills and trees and rivers and lakes. And this cross.

We arrived after dark so we did not get to see Maumelle and the north side of Little Rock. We had some yummy fondue and stayed up way late visiting. We woke up to see this beautiful site out Chasity's back windows. Very tall pines all over!

We spent Tuesday just hanging out and catching up. It was a perfect, relaxing day. Cam had to show that he brought a bit of attitude to Arkansas. And Cait had fun exploring their house and playing with the kids. She was hesitant at first but it didn't take too long to take to everyone and get brave about moving about.
Today, we hit the town. Beautiful sites everywhere. I don't know why, but I love seeing trees growing in the middle of a lake.

Our first stop was the Peabody Hotel. I laughed with Chas told me about the Peabody ducks but it really was something to see.

The ducks come down the Peabody Hotel elevator from the roof every day at 11 a.m. and they walk down a red carpet to the lobby fountain. The kids even got to pose with the Duck Master.

There were lots of neat old buildings downtown, here is just one of them I took a picture of.

Here's the Old State House, canon and all.

Next we took the electric trolley on a little tour of downtown Little Rock.


Several neat bridges cross the Arkansas River. We also got to see a sub and a river boat.

It was a fun way to see the sites.

The capital dome and the River Market, where we later ate lunch.

The River Market is so cool! It is an eatery of sorts with choices of Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Cajun, German, Italian, Middle Eastern and some "American" food as well. I ate a Reuben, Bren ate fried rice and Cam had pizza. Sweet Bren returned on our walk back to the car and bought me a chocolate covered canoli. All of it was oh-so-good!!!





We walked everywhere, I loved that it was all so close. I saw this door while we were walking and thought it would make a great backdrop!



After lunch we walked back to the Historic Arkansas Museum. Lots of weapons, trains and old buildings. (We didn't tour the buildings because you could only see them on a tour and besides charging, it was an hour long and a little chilly out AND Cait didn't want her stroller.)

They had a kids area that the kids had fun playing in.

There was a neat sculpture outside the museum.

Next we walked down to the Peabody Park by the river, behind the market.

It was very cool with these little tunnels that went under the playground. And a fast, long slide.

The kids had a blast. Walking back to the car, I saw this Flying Fish something or another with boat engines hanging from the outside wall.

We came back and fried some chicken and enjoyed the evening. We're heading home in the morning.

1 comment:

Granny said...

WOW! Looks and sounds like a fantastic trip. How long did it take to get there? Glad your on your way home!