I stole that line from my dear friend, Amanda; from a book she read called "The Tyranny of Choice."
Yesterday was a hard day. Not hard like my child was dying in a hospital or hard like my marriage was hanging by a thread. Not hard like being hopeless and not knowing a Savior that brings hope. Thankfully, Amanda's blog was pretty fresh in my mind. So as I trudged through my "hard day", I thought about complaining about my privileges. I tried, really hard, to find thankfulness in the midst of a incredibly long day.
Thank you, Lord, for my cluttered counter tops which drive me crazy. Thank you that we lack not a single book/writing utensil/manipulative in educating our children.
Thank you, Lord, for leftovers. They are not our favorite. Thank you that daddy generously eats leftovers every day so that we rarely have to. Thank you that we have more food than we know what to do with. Thank you that daddy has a great paying job and we can eat good-for-you food. Thank you that you have blessed me with an ability and a love for cooking. Thank you that we have NO real idea what it means to be hungry.
Thank you, Lord, for the massive pile of laundry that needs washed, dried, folded and put away. What a blessing it is to have hundreds of pieces of clothing, shoes, jewelry and other accessories. Forgive us for complaining about our privileged life.
Thank you, Lord, for my fussy children. Forgive me when I get cranky with them. Thank you that my children are healthy and smart. Thank you for reminding me to snuggle with them now and clean later. Thank you for reminding me that this too shall pass.
Thank you, Lord, for weeds and a yard that needs maintenance. Instead of being frustrated, I am thankful that my kids have a fenced yard that they can play safely in. I am thankful that the overgrown weeds provide science projects for Cam and Cait. Thank you, Lord, that we own yard tools and thank you that we are busy enjoying life.
3 comments:
It is good to shift focus!! We just read a book for Isabella's school called, "It Could Always Be Worse" & that is so true!!
Cam can come do experiments on all our weeds... I think ours look worse than yours. ;o)
Nicely written Jenn! It's nice to focus on the positives, even in the negatives : )
So true - so blessed - absolutely true - we take it all for granted.
Post a Comment